Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome.

We hope you enjoy your visit to Bartiforums.com

Since 2005 we've been a place for Bart fans to come together, discuss the books and other things. Jonathan Stroud himself is also a member of our community and you have the chance to talk to him. All you need to do is register an account.

Once registering you'll have the ability to set up and customise your profile, and access the options to post replies. Registration is completely free. There are no costs for access to any part of our board.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features: (Advanced Login)

Username:   Password:
A series of unfortunate events?; Is it good?
Topic Started: Nov 10 2011, 02:08 PM (1,295 Views)
calliope05
Member Avatar
Imp
Hey guys! :wave:

I just wanted know, is series of unfortunate events good? I'm planning to read it, but I don't know if it's worth it.
It will cost me fortune to complete. :hmm:
So, I want to hear your opinions first, before I break my piggy bank and my dad's.. :) But no spoilers please! Just tell me if you like it or not. :thnks:
Edited by calliope05, Nov 10 2011, 02:17 PM.
Offline Profile _Quote Top

Sentynel
Member Avatar
Nothing But The Rain

In my opinion, it started good, but went on far too long and rather lost the plot by the end. I probably wouldn't recommend it now if you're going to want closure, 'cos there's a hell of a lot to buy and read after the whole idea's rather worn thin to get to the end.
Sentynel - Head Ninja, Admin, Keeper of the Ban Afrit, Official Forum Graphics Guy, and forum code debugger.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Captain Internets
Member Avatar
Marid
What he said basically. Ending was incredibly bad.
Posted Imagesentynel is gay

FuzzyLobster
Member Avatar
Marid
Honestly, I think that the ending kind of fit the themes of the story, but it was still kind of disapointing. Still, they're worth the read if you have the time and a library you can borrow them from. Or just watch the movie, because the soundtrack is fantastic and I listen to it all the time. :D
Posted Image

"Few injustices [can be] deeper than the denial of an opportunity to strive or even to hope, by a limit imposed from without, but falsely identified as lying within.
― Stephen Jay Gould

FOUNDER OF THE SAM THE BARMAN FANCLUB: QUOTE IN YOUR SIG TO JOIN

Epic_Footstool
Member Avatar
Utukku
Yeah, I agree with what's been said so far. I *really* liked the series at the beginning, but it got progressively worse and the last book was incredibly disappointing... Maybe go borrow the first few books from a library before committing to buying the entire series?
Bartimaeus: It won't be the only mad thing about if you let this lot go. Check out that one at the end. He's taken the form of a footstool. Weird...but somehow I like his style.
Nathaniel: That is a footstool. No one's using that Pentacle.

calliope05
Member Avatar
Imp
Thank you for replying guys! :thnks:

Thank god I asked you before I decided to buy the whole series. They're next on my book shopping list after RoS.. I guess that's the main problem with lengthy stories, the plot seems to drone on and on, and all the excitement has already worn out when you get to the ending, only to be disappointed.. Yes maybe I'll just borrow the first few books..

You just saved my piggy bank! :lol2:
And I'll also watch the movie. :D
Edited by calliope05, Nov 11 2011, 12:55 PM.

FuzzyLobster
Member Avatar
Marid
I don't think it's all really downhill from the first few books, though. The Penultimate Peril was one of my favourites.
Posted Image

"Few injustices [can be] deeper than the denial of an opportunity to strive or even to hope, by a limit imposed from without, but falsely identified as lying within.
― Stephen Jay Gould

FOUNDER OF THE SAM THE BARMAN FANCLUB: QUOTE IN YOUR SIG TO JOIN

Mwamba
Member Avatar
dancing piranha
In defense of the series...

Before it came out, I suspected that there wasn't going to be any closure. Thus I wasn't too let down by the ending. I don't think it was fabulous, I just thought it was okay. (Far superior to "all was well." Damn you Rowling.)

Personally, I liked the way the story progressed/developed. I mean, the plot of the first few novels in itself are redundant. 'There is a new guardian. Olaf screws things up, but he is foiled in his plot to steal the fortune.' But then as it goes along (starting I believe the end of the fifth novel) that pattern starts to break and my reaction was "woah, where did all this action come from--I suppose it was just tacked on." And then I realized that the so called 'formula' of the previous novels played the role of being the exposition to the series as a whole. Perhaps Handler/Snicket just winged it and put in some meaning later but it was still played off pretty nicely.

In addition to the ASoUE soundtrack, the Gothic Archies also have a few fun songs. (During the last book promotion, Handler/Snicket performed in there too with his accordion.)

As a whole, I find the entire series well-put together and nicely devloped. I also enjoy the narrator's tone and also the fun allusions in there.

But yes, I too recommend checking the books out at the library/borrowing from a friend and getting it just if you love it.
Edited by Mwamba, Nov 12 2011, 07:22 PM.
流口水的婊子和猴子的笨儿子。

Quest
Member Avatar
Imp
It's incredibly sad. Not THAT good, it's worth reading, yes, but I don't think it's worth buying.
Edited by Quest, Sep 11 2014, 11:24 PM.

Kittycat
Member Avatar
Imp
I know this is a super old thread, but has anyone watched the Netflix adaptation? It looks like they're doing really well.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Book Discussion · Next Topic »