Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome.

We hope you enjoy your visit to Bartiforums.com

Since 2005 we've been a place for Bart fans to come together, discuss the books and other things. Jonathan Stroud himself is also a member of our community and you have the chance to talk to him. All you need to do is register an account.

Once registering you'll have the ability to set up and customise your profile, and access the options to post replies. Registration is completely free. There are no costs for access to any part of our board.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features: (Advanced Login)

Username:   Password:
[Accepted]Question about Ptolemy's Gate ending
Topic Started: May 28 2011, 10:25 AM (6,484 Views)
Tease
Mite
I'm not sure if this has been asked before, I tried searching for in Answered Questions..but I couldn't get through all of them. I was wondering, judging from the very last paragraph in the book ""A typical master. right to the end, he didn't give me a chance to get a word in edge ways. Which is a pity, because at that last moment id have liked to tell him what i thought of him. Mind you, since in that split second we were, to all intents and purposes , one and the same, I rather think he knew anyway." I figured that what Bartimaeus had to say to Nathaniel was quite negative and unhappy.

I'm dreadfully curious, did Nathaniel's actions (dismissing Bartimaeus) come from compassion and love for Bartimaeus, or was he really just worried Bartimaeus would jeopardize the whole situation and blow the staff at the wrong time?

And with that said, did Bartimaeus indeed have something negative left to say to Nathaniel, or did he mean something positive? (in regards to the last paragraph)

Thank you!
Edited by Tease, May 28 2011, 10:27 AM.
Offline Profile _Quote Top

daysh
Mite
This previous question might help: Bartiforums Bartifrumshttp://bartiforums.com/topic/3484/1/#new

Esha
Mite
Those definitely are natural questions. They went through my mind as well after I numbly turned the page to realise it was the end.
But I think some things are strange when said aloud, though the thought behind them is definitely real. I'm nathaniel did care, and so did bartimaeus, despite his huffiness. They grudgingly expressed admiration for certain traits in each other from time to time. They would be both too stubborn to express it anyway! I decided asking for the answer isn't quite playing the game.
:)

Those definitely are natural questions. They went through my mind as well after I numbly turned the page to realise it was the end.
But I think some things are strange when said aloud, though the thought behind them is definitely real. I'm nathaniel did care, and so did bartimaeus, despite his huffiness. They grudgingly expressed admiration for certain traits in each other from time to time. They would be both too stubborn to express it anyway! I decided asking for the answer isn't quite playing the game.
Besides, I felt I knew it all along.
: )

Edited by Esha, Oct 14 2013, 11:22 AM.

Sunnykat
Mite
Since I was disappointed anyway that the author deemed fit to kill Nathaniel, I decided that my best option was to give the ending line a positive spin. Nathaniel dismissed Bartimaus out of love and Bartimaus knew that. If anything, Barti would have said something sarcastic or dry that would show underlined feelings. That was easier for me to accept. Lol

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Submit Your Question · Next Topic »