Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome.

We hope you enjoy your visit to Bartiforums.com

Since 2005 we've been a place for Bart fans to come together, discuss the books and other things. Jonathan Stroud himself is also a member of our community and you have the chance to talk to him. All you need to do is register an account.

Once registering you'll have the ability to set up and customise your profile, and access the options to post replies. Registration is completely free. There are no costs for access to any part of our board.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features: (Advanced Login)

Username:   Password:
  • Pages:
[Accepted]Amulet of Samarkand Movie?
Topic Started: Mar 3 2011, 06:26 AM (16,099 Views)
ArdentTie
Mite
I saw on the New York Times website yesterday that John Madden of Shakespeare In Love is to direct the Amulet of Samarkand movie and that Hossein Amini is to write the screenplay. http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/441789/Bartimaeus-Trilogy-The-Amulet-Of-Samarkand/credits Is this accurate? How much involvement in the films will Mr. Stroud have in the making of these films? The movie is being marketed as a trilogy. Has there been a contract to adapt all the films?

Simplicity Always,
Andrew
Offline Profile _Quote Top

Saiph
Member Avatar
Imp
Hmmm, that's probably old. There were plans for a movie at some point, but I think that got canned.

JesterFae
Mite
So, do y'all have any idea if there'll be any movie of any kind?

Seshat
Member Avatar
Mouler
well, according to this previous post:

http://bartiforums.com/topic/2206/1/

the producer of the movies died. :(
Edited by Seshat, Oct 8 2011, 08:46 PM.

Aggron
Member Avatar
Utukku
then, is that means that we must to wait some more years
Please click on one of my dragons here
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

MssHugsAndKisses
Mite
Hello everybody! :new: :D
I however am not looking forward to a movie of the Bartimaeus trilogy (if there's ever going to be one). It's because, well you know what happens when they make a book into a movie. Usually they take away a lot (and sometimes very deep) moments, plus they sometimes even play with the story and just use the idea (Princess diaries for example). AND it would be very hard to show everything that happens in the books. I doubt that anyone would have the patience to deal with it all. The Other Place, all kinds of forms (people, animals etc. So much just for Bartimaues), when Nat and Bart are as one in PG, all the effects they'll need to add. But then again with the technologies they have now maybe it wouldn't be so hard. I mean just look at Paul. The main character is computer generated! But if someone like James Cameron (especially him) or Steven Spielberg would decided to direct it I wouldn't mind at all. They both pay attention to all the details, work really hard (James Cameron doesn't stop until everything is PERFECT) and are both born genius's. Otherwise I would just read the reviews and see if it's worth watching the movies because if they just mess the stories up I'd feel horrible for watching them and having the magic taken away.

nathanielandbartimaeus
Member Avatar
Marid
Welcome to Bartiforums!
Personally, I would risk a movie.
"If the bee disappears from the surface of the earth, man would have no more than four years to live. No more bees, no more pollination ... no more men!" - Einstein
"I like quoting Einstein. Know why? Because nobody dares contradict you." - Studs Terkel.
<@Ximenez> Sentynel: But i have a life? No. Qed.

Zibraz
Mouler
nathanielandbartimaeus
Oct 17 2011, 04:12 AM
Welcome to Bartiforums!
Personally, I would risk a movie.
Yeah exactly. I think the risk is worth taking to be honest. chances are, they are gonna make money from it.

But on the other hand, a lot does happen in the books, unless they split the films into 2, they can't get everything in.

MssHugsAndKisses
Mite
Well yes, it's definitely worth taking that risk because the story is just AMAZING but what if they make it into a very bad movie? But then again with Jonathan Stroud's amazing idea I doubt that's possible. :D

nathanielandbartimaeus
Member Avatar
Marid
Never underestimate the ability of movie producers to make a very bad movie out of a very good book.
"If the bee disappears from the surface of the earth, man would have no more than four years to live. No more bees, no more pollination ... no more men!" - Einstein
"I like quoting Einstein. Know why? Because nobody dares contradict you." - Studs Terkel.
<@Ximenez> Sentynel: But i have a life? No. Qed.

Zibraz
Mouler
If they do it right, the movie could be a huge success (Better than the Harry Potters) but if they do it badly.... Then I won't even consider them movies of Bartimuaes

MssHugsAndKisses
Mite
Zibraz
Oct 19 2011, 11:01 PM
If they do it right, the movie could be a huge success (Better than the Harry Potters) but if they do it badly.... Then I won't even consider them movies of Bartimuaes
Exactly! Like I said before if they do make the movies then I'll read the reviews before watching the movie. Of course you can't take somebody else's opinion for granted but I just wouldn't want to have the magic taken away. The book was very interesting, funny, lots of up and down moments... so very emotional. I always thought that only the best authors risk their main character (-s) dying because a lot of people can get mad about that. And I have read a book before where like a lot of character's die but the main character and her partner survive so I wasn't sad about THAT ending. I have never liked a character as much as I liked Nathaniel. But the ending's great because of it I will never forget this book. I'm suprised that they actually haven't made a movie yet if they would do it right then it would most definatly be one of the most succesful movies of the 21 century (hope I'm not exagerating :$ ).

Gladstone
Member Avatar

I presume we would have heard something, if there was anything to hear.

Jonathan Stroud
Member Avatar
Foliot
John Madden and Anthony Minghella were both involved in the original Amulet of Samarkand movie project. Hossein Amini wrote an excellent first-draft script. If and when the Amulut movie starts moving again, it will probably be a fresh start, though Hoss's script is still around and might be used.

I think the thing about movies is that they're always going to tell your story in a new and different way. They won't have the exact same strengths or weaknesses as the original. This is fine. Stories are always being retold. The Amulet graphic novel made changes, but because it respected the essence of the book, it turned out really well. So, my view is: if the film is good, everyone is happy. If it's not, well.... doesn't matter. You've still got the books.

Luciene
Member Avatar
Zombie Hunter
That's a fantastic combination. I love everything those men have done Any chance we can get Ryan Gosling to play Simon Lovelace? ^_^ or anyone from The Talented Mr. Ripley.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Answered Questions · Next Topic »
  • Pages: